Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP, founded in 1997, has become one of the nation's premier law firms. Today, with over 200 lawyers practicing in offices across the country, we regularly serve as lead counsel in the most significant and highest profile disputes in the world. While best known for landmark cases such as United States v. Microsoft, Bush v. Gore, and In re Vitamins, we represent some of the largest and most sophisticated organizations in the world when the results matter most. In less than a decade, we have won and saved our clients billions of dollars in trials, arbitrations, and settlements. We have been described by The Wall Street Journal as a "national litigation powerhouse" and by the National Law Journal as "unafraid to venture into controversial" and "high risk" matters.
And we are just getting started.
In 1997, David Boies and Jonathan Schiller combined their talents and set out to build the most interesting and dynamic litigation practice anywhere. Two years later Don Flexner joined them. Since then, they have recruited and litigated side-by-side with a group of the most accomplished and effective lawyers in the country. Our lawyers have tried more than 400 cases, and include two former United States Attorneys, numerous former Justice Department officials and Assistant United States Attorneys, several former Supreme Court clerks, and many former partners of prestigious law firms. The talent of our partnership is matched by the skill and diversity of our associates, who come mainly from judicial clerkships and top law schools. Likewise, our corporate practice brings our standard of excellence to bear in negotiating complex and sophisticated transactions. For that reason, the American Lawyer noted that the firm has assembled "a team of seasoned attorneys to form one of America's most successful and sought-after law firms for cases that matter."
Our clients know and rely on our talent, standard of excellence, relentlessness, creativity, and track record of success in a wide variety of practice areas and industries, for both plaintiffs and defendants. We have successfully defended and brought actions on behalf of our clients in some of their most high-stakes litigation.
- We recently obtained, on behalf of our client, American Express, a settlement totaling approximately $4 billion - more than three times the size of the largest previous recovery for a single plaintiff in the history of United States private antitrust litigation. The settlement came in American Express' litigation against Visa, MasterCard and several banks, in which American Express alleged exclusionary conduct that prevented the banks from issuing American Express cards.
- We won a verdict ordering the extraordinary relief of specific performance in a December 2007 trial on behalf of our client, Genesco Inc., in its suit against The Finish Line Inc. and UBS arising out of the Finish Line's refusal to close on a 1.5 billion merger agreement. The Wall Street Journalnoted "[t]he trial [was] closely watched on Wall Street, as investors and corporate boards look for guidance in how to handle a spate of litigation over scuttled merger agreements." Dennis Berman, Judge Rules Finish Line Must Acquire Genesco, The Wall Street Journal, Dec. 28, 2007, at A3.
- We uncovered a worldwide vitamin price fixing cartel, In re Vitamins, which, in the words of a federal judge, "enabl[ed] the criminal investigation to begin." The firm secured a $1.1 billion settlement for a class of vitamin purchasers, and later won a $148 million jury verdict against some of the non-settling defendants.
- We won a $512 million settlement of antitrust claims against the world's major auction houses, Christie's and Sotheby's, which was 1.8 times the out of pocket damages - in the settlement approval process, no one could point to an antitrust case that had previously settled for more than out of pocket damages.
- We are recognized internationally in arbitration where, among other matters, we successfully defended Siemens-Westinghouse against a $1.4 billion default judgment obtained in Pakistan; won a $261 million award in Paris on behalf of Florida Power & Light and its joint venture partner after Indonesia cancelled a geothermal power project; and won an arbitral award on behalf of YES Network in the form of a long-term carriage agreement with Cablevision that substantially increased the enterprise value of YES.
- We have defended our clients - such as Qwest Communications, Tyco International, and Maurice R. "Hank" Greenberg, Chairman and CEO of C.V. Starr & Company, and former Chairman and CEO of American International Group - against government investigations and in some of the highest profile corporate governance and related securities matters, including parallel proceedings in the United States and Europe.
- We recently won a New York jury verdict worth some $700 million for Lloyd's of London involving property insurance for the 9/11 destruction of the World Trade Center.
This record of success is the foundation on which the firm was built. It has distinguished Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP as the law firm of choice for "the cases that matter."
- Altria Group, Inc.
- American Express Company
- Barclays Capital
- Bank of New York Mellon Corporation
- Caithness Energy, LLC
- Carnival Corporation
- CBS Corporation
- Coastal Development LLC
- Compañía Minera Antamina S.A.
- C.V. Starr & Co., Inc.
- Delta Air Lines, Inc.
- D. E. Shaw & Co. L.P.
- Dow Corning Corporation
- E.I. DuPont de Nemours and Company
- Ernst & Young LLP
- Fresh Del Monte Produce, Inc.
- Florida Power & Light Company
- Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Guardsmark Inc.
- Hill-Rom, Inc.
- John Hancock Financial Services, Inc.
- Kerzner International, Ltd.
- Lloyds of London
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- National Geographic Society
- New China Capital Management, LLC
- New York Life Insurance Company
- New York Yankees
- Northwest Airlines
- Pacific Investment Management Company LLC
- Paloma Partners, LLC
- Perella Weinberg Partners, LP
- Pfizer Inc.
- Philip Morris International, Inc.
- Plainfield Asset Management, LLC
- Progenics Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Raptor Capital Management LP
- Richard Prince
- Qwest Communications International, Inc.
- Sony Corporation of America
- Starr International Company, Inc.
- Texas Instruments Inc.
- Tudor Investment Corporation
- Wellspring Capital Management
- Wynn Resorts Holding, LLC
- YES Network
- Zurich Financial Services Group
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Class Actions
- Constitutional Law and First Amendment / Mass Media
- Employment / FLSA
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- International Arbitration
- Investigations / Corporate Governance
- Matrimonial and Family Law
- Pro Bono
- Product Liability
- Reorganization / Work-outs
- Securities Litigation
- Sports Law
- White-Collar / Business Crimes
By Last Name
|Brooke A. Alexander||Markenzy Lapointe|
|Pedro M. Allende||James Lee|
|Jennifer G. Altman||Robert W. Leung|
|Michael V. Anastasio||Harlan A. Levy|
|Anthony A. Arsali||Robert M. Lia|
|Lawrence V. Ashe||Joshua James Libling|
|Nasrina Bargzie||Thomas Ling|
|David A. Barrett||George Y. Liu|
|D. Scott Bassinson||Vincent Y. Liu|
|Benjamin D. Battles||Alexis Loeb|
|Rosanne C. Baxter||Marcy Norwood Lynch|
|Richard J. Bettan||Helen M. Maher|
|Richard J. Birns||Lauren Melissa Marks|
|Ellen P. Blanchard||Damien J. Marshall|
|Tricia J. Bloomer||William D. Marsillo|
|Keith J. Blum||Eric J. Maurer|
|Caryl L. Boies||Amy J. Mauser|
|Christopher A. Boies||Ryan T. McAllister|
|David Boies||Sigrid S. McCawley|
|Judith Boies||N. "Mack" K. McInnis Jr.|
|Andrew Borchini||Laura J. McKay|
|Sashi B. Boruchow||Drew McLelland|
|Philip M. Bowman||Patricia Melville|
|David R. Boyd||Michael M. Merley|
|Andrew S. Brenner||Jennifer Milici|
|Michael Brille||A. Matthew Miller|
|Ellen Brockman||Charles Fox Miller|
|John C. Brosky||Ilana Miller|
|Bridget Brown||James Fox Miller|
|George F. Carpinello||Jon L. Mills|
|Rosaline Chan||Douglass A. Mitchell|
|Cynthia M. Christian||Michael Mitchell|
|Tanya S. Chutkan||Teresa A. Monroe|
|George R. Coe||Anne M. Nardacci|
|Vincent A. Consul||David Nelson|
|Robert Cooper||Amy L. Neuhardt|
|John F. Cove, Jr.||Lauren A. Newell|
|Ian Crichton||Luke Nikas|
|Jason C. Cyrulnik||Edward J. Normand|
|Jonathan W. Davenport||Fred Norton|
|Steven W. Davis||Robert M. Norway|
|Ashanti Alise Woods Decker||Lisa Nousek|
|Adam Deckinger||Francisco R. Nu ñez|
|Abby L. Dennis||Camille Oberkampf|
|James P. Denvir III||William S. Ohlemeyer|
|Stefan G. DePozsgay||James B. Orthwein III|
|Richard B. Drubel Jr.||James Ostaszewski|
|Christopher E. Duffy||Evan Andrew Parke|
|Angus W. Dwyer||Richard J. Pocker|
|Robert J. Dwyer||Jonathan E. Pollard|
|Karen C. Dyer||Ogi Radic|
|William T. Dzurilla||H. Stephen Rash|
|David Ellis||Beko O. Reblitz-Richardson|
|Katherine A. Eskovitz||Kavitha Reddy|
|Randall P. Ewing, Jr.||Stephanie Reger|
|Michael P. Favretto||Jarrod F. Reich|
|Melissa B. Felder||James E. Richardson|
|Christopher V. Fenlon||Joshua Riley|
|Justin D. Fitzdam||Kieran P. Ringgenberg|
|Lauren Fleischer Louis||Courtney R. Rockett|
|Donald L. Flexner||Sean Phillips Rodriguez|
|Russell M. Franklin||Alanna C. Rutherford|
|Lidia Frenkel||Shani Salama|
|Matthew W. Friedrich||Jonathan D. Schiller|
|Steven I. Froot||Joshua Irwin Schiller|
|M. Geron Gadd||Alec Schultz|
|Ann M. Galvani||Kimberly H. Schultz|
|Scott E. Gant||Joseph L. Schwartz|
|Carl E. Goldfarb||Robert M. Schwartz|
|Jeremy M. Goldman||Elliott M. Seiden|
|Debra Weiss Goodstone||Michelle M. Sekowski|
|Nicholas A. Gravante Jr.||Matthew J. Senatore|
|Christopher M. Green||David W. Shapiro|
|James Grippando||Adam R. Shaw|
|Michael S. Grisolia||Jonathan M. Shaw|
|Peter A. Gwynne||Jeffrey S. Shelly|
|Olav A. Haazen||Jonathan Sherman|
|Mary M. Hamill||Motty Shulman|
|Neal Hannan||Robert B. Silver|
|Gary K. Harris||Jack A. Simms Jr.|
|Christopher L. Hayes||Stuart H. Singer|
|Mark J. Heise||Carlos M. Sires|
|Matthew J. Henken||Brad G. Smith|
|Robin A. Henry||Louis G. Smith|
|Jason M. Hill||Andy Soh|
|Anne E. Hinds||Jack G. Stern|
|Daniel E. Holloway||Luis E. Suarez|
|Steven C. Holtzman||Laura A. Sullivan|
|Mike F. Huang||W. Todd Thomas|
|Hamish P. M. Hume||Robert C. Tietjen|
|Philip J. Iovieno||John E. Tober|
|William A. Isaacson||Matthew S. Tripolitsiotis|
|William C. Jackson||Betsy Turner|
|Magda M. Jimenez Train||D. Michael Underhill|
|Laurie R. Josephs||Lynne S. Varela|
|Matthew Kaden||Jeremy Vest|
|Melissa S. Kho||Alan B. Vickery|
|Heather King||Howard L. Vickery II|
|Susan Elizabeth Klock||Hershel A. Wancjer|
|Philip C. Korologos||Bruce A. Weil|
|Michael Kosnitzky||Richard E. Weill|
|Jason Krause||Jack A. Wilson|
|Jonathan P. Krisbergh||Scott R. Wilson|
Ryan B. Witte
|Marilyn C. Kunstler||Lee S. Wolosky|
|Stanley H. Kuperstein||Kelly Yuan|
|John F. La Salle III||Stephen N. Zack|
|Paul J. Lal||David L. Zifkin|