Mr. Sher is a business lawyer whose practice is concentrated in commercial real estate and business and finance law. He also practices in the areas of: commercial litigation, creditors' rights, workouts and foreclosures, commercial bankruptcy, disaster recovery, arbitration and mediation, secured finance and asset based lending. Along with his practice, Mr. Sher is actively involved with many professional and trade organizations, including the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, where he served as Treasurer and a member of the Executive Board; the Anglo American Real Property Institute (an organization limited in its membership to the top 50 real estate practitioners in the United States and the top 50 real estate practitioners in the United Kingdom) where he served as a member of the Governing Board; the Lenders' Counsel Group of the American Land Title Association (ALTA), which is a group limited to 75 lending lawyers who meet in conjunction with the ALTA, which is the title insurance industry trade association; the Real Property Section of the American Bar Association, where Mr. Sher has served in many positions, including the Section's governing Council and is currently serving as a Section Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates; the American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers, which selects its members (fellows) from those attorneys in the United States who serve the asset based lending industry; the American College of Mortgage Attorneys; the Business Section of the American Bar Association, particularly the Commercial Financial Services Committee of the Section; American Law Institute and the International Council of Shopping Centers, a trade association that represents the interests of those involved in the shopping center industry, including lenders, tenants, owners and developers. Mr. Sher is an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association, with a special designation for arbitrating Commercial Disputes. Mr. Sher also serves on the Tulane Law School Dean's Advisory Board, whose purpose is to serve as an advisory and consultative group to the Dean of the Law School, bringing the perspective of alumni and other friends of the Law School to bear on matters of Law School policy, activities, programs and goals, and acts as an advocate to assist the Dean in advancing the interest of the school.
Over the years, Mr. Sher has been actively involved in virtually every type of major business, real estate and finance transaction representing various and diverse interests as follows: major lenders, including life insurance companies, banks, finance companies and other asset based lenders, savings and loans and other lenders such as Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITS) and Real Estate Mortgage Investment Conduit (REMICS) [conduit lending], for all categories of loans and lending arrangements including private and public financing (industrial development bond financing, public/private partnerships and Urban Development Action Grants); commercial developers, including developers of shopping centers, hotels, office buildings, apartment complexes, free standing retail establishments, industrial properties, condominiums, golf courses, Planned Unit Developments, historic rehabilitations, mixed-use projects, conversions, parking lots and garages, warehouses, and other traditional and nontraditional (facade donations, air rights transactions, etc.) real estate projects; businesses, including representation related to the buying and selling of businesses, structuring transactions, joint ventures and other combinations, general business advice and major contracts; landlords and tenants, which representation includes drafting of form leases and negotiation of lease agreements, construction, operation and reciprocal easement (servitude) agreements and other agreements that affect real property; owners and purchasers, which representation includes drafting and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, construction contracts and development agreements. Mr. Sher has also represented major national and international clients in the food service, hospital, title insurance and oil and gas industries.
On behalf of clients of the firm, Mr. Sher regularly practices before and works closely with political entities and public administrative boards and agencies, at the local, parish (county), state, and national levels.
Mr. Sher has spoken extensively, both locally and nationally, on many diverse subjects including marine pollution/offshore oil leak disasters, capital markets, real estate finance, government bailouts, disaster recovery, insurance, zoning, land use, eminent domain, environmental law, limited liability companies, workouts, leases, title insurance, lending, lender liability, civil forfeiture, distressed real estate, brokerage agreements and other areas related to his practice. Since Hurricane Katrina, Mr. Sher has spoken extensively all over the country to various business groups, professional organizations, and trade associations on disaster recovery, disaster planning and disaster management. In addition, starting in early 2008, Mr. Sher began speaking nationally on the capital markets, availability of real estate finance, distressed real estate and asset based lending.
- Louisiana, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1976
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 1976
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1976
- Tulane Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana; J.D.
- Honors: Moot Court
- Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, USA, 1974; B.A.
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: Political Science
- Speaker, Disaster Recovery, Environmental Law, Limited Liability Companies, Workouts, Leases, Title Insurance, Lender Liability, Civil Forfeiture, Distressed Real Estate, and Brokerage Agreements
- Best Lawyers in America, with special designations in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Banking Law, Equipment Finance Law, Land Use & Zoning Law, Real Estate Law and Structured Finance Law, 2011
- Mr. Sher was named a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers and one of its top 10 and top 50 lawyers, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011
- Best Lawyers in America, with special designations in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Land Use & Zoning Law and Real Estate Law, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009
- Lawdragon 500 named Mr. Sher one of its Leading Lawyers in America, 2007-2011 and one of its Top Managing Partners You Need to Know for 2008
- Chambers and Partners identified Mr. Sher as one of the leading business lawyers in Real Estate in its 2004-2011 Chambers USA, Client's Guide
- New Orleans City Business has awarded Mr. Sher the first annual Leadership in Law Award for 2005, as one of the top 50 Lawyers in New Orleans, 2005
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Board of Governors,
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- American Arbitration Association, Panel of Arbitrators
- Anglo American Real Property Institute, U.S. Group
- American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers
- American Law Institute
Member; Member Consultative Group for Rest. Third, The U.S. Law of International Commercial Arbitration
- Tulane Law School Dean's Advisory Board
- Arts Council of New Orleans, 2010 - Present
Board of Directors
- Lender's Counsel Group of the American Land Title Association (ALTA)
- American Bar Association, Real Property Section, Governing
Counsel, Section Delegate to the House of Delegate
- American Bar Association, 2011 - Present
Special Committee on Disaster Response and Preparedness
- Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law's Task Force on Real Property Law School Curriculum Committee, 2009-2010
- American Bar Association Judicial Division, 2009 - Present
- American Bar Association, Business Section, Commercial Financial Services Committee
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- American Bar Foundation
- Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys
- Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys, Inc.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Federal Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- CCIM, Louisiana Chapter Commercial Real Estate
- Louisiana Land Title Association
- Louisiana Bankers Association
- McGlinchey Stafford Law Firm, Member, 1976 - 1999
- 1953, New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America
His real estate expertise is critical for the redevelopment of New Orleans, lending advice on the expropriation of properties by the State to make way for multibillion dollar construction of the new Charity and VA Hospitals in the Mid City.
One of New Orleans’ leading lights for business and real estate matters, Sher has helped companies work through difficult economic times, as well as calamities.
The leading light of real estate in New Orleans now teaches lawyers in other areas hard hit by disaster how to reach out to clients in their time of need.
Louisiana's leading real estate authority is considered a “superb voice of experience” by peers and clients.
An icon in the transactional world of America's South who specializes in the most complicated real estate deals.
His real estate clientele covers all the bases, and whether developers,lenders or landlords, they’re all heavyweights.
|Relationship : work together ( Commercial )||
|Rates/Fees : Reasonable for the level of expertise and professionalism.|
|Comments: Of the highest quality.|
Contact Lawdragon about the information in this review.
EVALUATIONFill in the requested information below, then submit your evaluation to have your scores calculated as part of Leopold Z. Sher Lawdragon ranking.
By submitting this form, you agree to Lawdragon's TERM OF USE.