Robert G. DeLaMater
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
125 Broad Street
New York, NY 10004
212-558-3588 (firm fax)
Robert G. DeLaMater
Throughout his career, Robert DeLaMater has advised corporate clients and their financial advisers on mergers, takeover bids, joint ventures, divestitures and other M&A transactions, as well as on securities offerings, privatizations and other corporate and financial matters. Many of these transactions were the first or largest of their kind and have been cited by leading financial and legal publications as “M&A Deal of the Year” or “IPO of the Year.” At various times he has been resident in our New York, London, Tokyo and Hong Kong offices. Highlights of his relevant work include advising:
- Tokio Marine Holdings on its acquisitions of Delphi Financial Group and Philadelphia Consolidated Holding Corp.
- AIG on its sale of ALICO to MetLife, its financial arrangements with the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and the Department of the Treasury, and other matters
- Nippon Steel on various matters over many years, including its shareholding in Usiminas
- Kinross Gold on various matters over many years, including its acquisitions of Red Back Mining and Bema Gold
- China Pacific Insurance underwriters on its IPO in Hong Kong
- Aflac, AmTrust Financial and Everest Re underwriters on various securities offerings
- AIG on its investment in Allied World Assurance and the IPO of AWAC
- Mitsui Marine & Fire Insurance in its merger with Sumitomo Marine & Fire Insurance
- BOC Hong Kong (Holdings) in its privatization, awarded “Best Privatization of the Year” by FinanceAsia
- DP World on the disposition of the U.S. businesses of P&O Ports to AIG Global Investment Group
- Neptune Orient Lines (Singapore) in its acquisition of APL Limited (U.S.), which was named the “M&A Deal of the Year” by FinanceAsia
- DP World on its acquisition of CSX World Terminals
- Fuji TV on the contest for control of Nippon Broadcasting between Fuji TV and Livedoor
- Philippine Long Distance Telephone in its defense against an unsolicited takeover bid from the Gokongwei group
- NTT DoCoMo in its IPO, which at $18 billion was the world’s largest IPO, and DoCoMo’s subsequent NYSE listing
- MTR Corporation Limited in its $1.2 billion IPO, Hong Kong’s first ever privatization
Mr. DeLaMater is recognized as a leader in mergers and acquisitions in Euromoney’sGuide to the World’s Leading Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyers (2006, 2008, 2009),IFLR1000 (2008), Lawdragon (2006, 2007, 2010), New York Super Lawyers (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011), PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook (2002-2003, 2003-2004) and PLC Global Counsel Mergers & Acquisitions Handbook (2003-2004, 2004-2005). He has been recommended as a leading lawyer in Capital Markets by PLC Cross-border Capital Markets Handbook 2009, Chambers Global: Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers and PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook and in Capital Markets and Corporate Finance by Asialaw Leading Lawyers since 2003. He has published in Columbia Law Review, Cornell International Law Journal and other legal publications, and received the 2007 Burton Award for Legal Achievement for his writing.
He has also participated on public panels on topics including mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and securities regulation. He is a trustee of the Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law, a member of the Board of Visitors and the International Advisory Board at Columbia Law School, and the former chair of the Asian Affairs Committee of the New York City Bar Association. He is also a trustee of Historic Hudson Valley and a director of the Keewaydin Foundation.
- The Honorable James M. Sprouse, United States Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit, 1984 - 1985
Recent Trends in SEC Regulation of Foreign Issuers: How the U.S. Regulatory Regime is Affecting the United States' Historic Position as the World's Principal Capital Market
Cornell International Law Journal, Vol. 39, No. 1, Page 109 - Winter 2006
Events & Speaking Engagements
University of Michigan Law School's Hot Topics in International Law
January 28, 2008
EDITORIAL REVIEWWhen it comes to weighing the relative strengths of American, Chinese and European capital markets, few can match DeLaMater.
Previously firm honcho in Hong Kong and Tokyo, he collects “deal of the year” honors like baseball cards.
Contact Lawdragon about the information in this review.
EVALUATIONFill in the requested information below, then submit your evaluation to have your scores calculated as part of Robert G. DeLaMater Lawdragon ranking.
By submitting this form, you agree to Lawdragon's TERM OF USE.