Matthew attended Loyola High School, received his B.A. from UCLA with honors and graduated from Loyola Law School of Los Angeles.
His practice areas include: representing large groups of "mass" plaintiffs in tort-based actions, toxic injury litigation, sexual assult and sexual abuse litigation, wrongful death, catastrophic injury, employment law (harassment, discrimination, and retaliation), consumer class actions, maritime law, Jones Act, LHWCA, landlord-tenant habitability and nuisance cases, civil rights, and products liability.
Matthew was named as one of the top 20 attorneys in California under the age of 40 in 2002 by the Daily Journal (the legal newspaper for San Francisco and Los Angeles), and was named a Super Lawyer by Los Angeles Magazine in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. Matthew is also a member of ABOTA.
Some notable results include the following:
- $8,000,000- 27 tenants recovered against their landlord for breach of covenant of habitability, nuisance and negligence for substandard conditions and mold-related injuries. View the article
- $5,340,000- African-American plaintiff recovered for racial harassmant, discrimination, and retaliation against the LAPD Bomb Squad. View the article
- $3,591,000- Japanese-American officer recovered against the LAPD K9 Unit for harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. View the first article, View the second article
- $3,450,000- Seaman was injured in boatyard while preforming maintenance and yearly repairs on vessel. View the article
- $3,150,000- Farm laborers exposed to a soil fumigant during a single application causing acute symptoms.
- $2,250,000- 3 female employees within the same unit of the LAPD recovered for discimunatory and retaliatory actions.
- $2,200,000- Young boy recovered against his school as a result of being sexually assulted in the school bathroom by another student.
- $2,000,000- Family recovered against a truck driver for striking and killing their 64 year old mother while crossing the street.
- $1,800,000- Female motorist was forces to have sexual intercourse with a uniformed peace officer who threatened legal recourse against her if she refused.
- $1,400,000- Settlement for father of a 9 year old boy ejected and killed in a motor vehicle accident while not wearing a seat belt.
- $1,250,000- 30 tenants recovered against their landlord for breach of the implied covenant of habitability and nuisance.
- $1,250,000- 88 year old woman killed while crossing the street by California Department of Corrections bus. View the article
- $1,000,000- Settlement for truck driver with head injury in a case which McNicholas & McNicholas took over from another lawyer after summary judgment was granted against teh plaintiff.
Contact Lawdragon about the information in this review.
EVALUATIONFill in the requested information below, then submit your evaluation to have your scores calculated as part of Matthew S. McNicholas Lawdragon ranking.
By submitting this form, you agree to Lawdragon's TERM OF USE.