H. Lee Godfrey
Houston, TX 77002
713-654-6666 (firm fax)
H. LEE GODFREY, P.C., born Palestine, Texas; admitted to bar, 1969, Texas; 2001, District of Columbia; 2006, New York.
- University of Texas (B.A., 1966, J.D., with honors, 1969)
- Yale University Institute of Far Eastern Languages
- United States Air Force, Honorable Discharge, 1965
- President Clinton's Choice for U.S. Ambassador to Brazil, 1996
- Fraternities: Phi Delta Phi; Order of the Coif; Chancellors; Consul
- Managing Editor, Texas Law Review, 1968-69
- Texas Law Review Ex-Editors Association (President, 1976)
- Visiting Professor, Rice University, Commercial Law, 1980-82
- Author, "Civil Voir Dire in Texas: Winning the Appeal Based on Bias or Prejudice," 31 South Texas Law Review 409 (1990)
- "Honorary Barrister Award" from the University of Texas Law School Board of Advocates (1999)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Texas Business Litigation), 1991-2006 editions
- 1999 University of Texas Board of Advocates "Barrister of the Year"
- Leon Green Award, "for outstanding contribution to the legal profession," by the Texas Law Review Association (2002)
- International Who's Who of Commercial Litigators 2005 (4h Edition)
- Member of the University of Texas Law School Foundation Board of Trustees (2005-2008 term)
- Recognized as one of the seven top litigators in the United States and one of the top 25 litigators worldwide by The Best of the Best 2006
- Listed as one of the 2006 Lawdragon 3000 Leading Lawyers in America
- Named one of the top 10 Super Lawyers in Texas by Texas Monthly Magazine (2003-2008)
- Named one of the top three antitrust lawyers, one of the top four energy and natural resources lawyers, and one of the top seven general commercial litigators in Texas by Chambers USA 2006
- Selected as a Best Lawyer in America in the area of Commercial Litigation by ALM (American Lawyer Media)
- Recognized in Who's Who Legal: Texas 2007 as a pre-eminent lawyer in the area of commercial litigation.
- Received Anti-Defamation League's 2007 Karen H. Susman Jurisprudence Award
- Recognized in BENCHMARK Litigation Guide as one of America's Leading Litigation Attorneys (2009)
- American Law Institute
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- International Society of Barristers
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Texas
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Fellow, Houston Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Chairman, State Bar of Texas Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect, 1995-1996 and a committee member until 1998
- Chairman, Judicial Selection Advisory Committee for the Southern District of Texas, 1993
- Committee on Selection, Tenure & Compensation of State Judges, State Bar of Texas, 1980-81
See Library Tab for articles, publications and presentations
by H. Lee Godfrey
- Author, "Civil Voir Dire in Texas: Winning the Appeal Based on Bias or Prejudice," 31 South Texas Law Review 409
- Lecturer: American College of Trial Lawyers Texas Trial Academy for Public Interest Lawyers, 2006; American Bar
Association Antitrust Litigation Course (2003 and 2004 programs);
- "Affiliate Marketing Transactions," Southwest Kansas Royalty Owners Assn. Annual Conference, 2003;
- "Diagnosis of a Dispute," Third Annual Conference on Resolving Commercial Disputes Without Trial, Tulane University
and The University of Texas, 1993;
- "Expert Witnesses; Preparation and Examination," Houston Bar Association, 1989;
- "Jury Selection & Opening Statements in Texas Civil Practice," South Texas College of Law 1989 Discovery and Civil
Trial Practice Institute;
- "Arguing the Complex Case," The Art of Persuasion (A Performance Enhancement Course), The State Bar of Texas, 1989;
- "What You Need to Know About Discovery to Avoid Paying Sanctions," Houston Bar Association Discovery Institute,
- "Pleadings and Attacks on Pleadings," Advanced Civil Trial Practice, The State Bar of Texas Evidence Series, 1983.
This legendary lawyer and powerbroker is a key pillar of the high-powered Susman firm, most recently representing Lyondell as it works to exit bankruptcy following its $12.7B acquisition by Basell.
Godfrey gobsmacked $165 million from energy companies over “posted price” oil royalties and aided the City of Austin in its fight against Houston Lighting and Power.
Texas state officials tapped this well-connected player to sue area oil companies for allegedly underpaying energy royalties.
Contact Lawdragon about the information in this review.
EVALUATIONFill in the requested information below, then submit your evaluation to have your scores calculated as part of H. Lee Godfrey Lawdragon ranking.
By submitting this form, you agree to Lawdragon's TERM OF USE.