William N. Erickson
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
800 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02199
617-267-8288 (firm fax)
Property and Liability Coverage
Bill has handled hundreds of coverage disputes under first and third party policies for claims arising from fire, explosion, collapse, design defect, environmental impairment, flood, and other losses. Bill has litigated disputes concerning fortuity, reformation, physical damage, insured risk, insured property, exclusions, obligations in case of loss, extra expense, business interruption, sue and labor, limits and deductibles, arson and fraud, and fair claims practices.
Recent Coverage Matters*
- Obtained summary judgment on the insured's claim that the insurer did not provide adequate notice of cancellation of coverage prior to a fire. See C&D Realty Trust v. OneBeacon Insurance Company, C.A. No. 07-930, Plymouth (MA) Superior Court, March 26, 2009.
- Settled multi-million dollar builder's risk claim involving replacement of utilities.
- Represented two insurers in the Appraisal of the multi-billion dollar World Trade Center September 11 loss.
- Litigated September 11 claims in excess of $100 million to final decision or settlement.
- Litigated Y2K coverage claims, in excess of $100 million. See GTE Corp. v. Allianz Insurance, et. al., 372 F.3d 598 (3rd Cir., 2004)
Bill provides counsel and advice to cedents and reinsurers including review of claims and analysis of reinsurance treaties and faculty agreements. Bill has handled reinsurance disputes through arbitration and final award. Bill's experience includes reinsurance claims arising under builder's risk programs, property insurance claims, surety bonds, workers compensation, and liability policies.
Recent Reinsurance Matters*
- First-chaired the arbitration of a disputed claim for reimbursement of payments to rebuild a municipal building. Presented an ex gratia payment defense.
- Represented the reinsurer in the defense of a claim for the recovery of payments made under surety bonds issued to guarantee collateralized debt obligations.
- Represented the reinsurer analyzing the reinsurer's duty to investigate and adjust a loss at a gas processing plant under a facultative agreement.
- Represented cedent in arbitration to recover losses from reinsurer participating in a multi-layer reinsurance program.
- Represented reinsurer in commutation dispute with cedent.
* Past results are reported to provide the reader with an indication of the type of litigation in which we practice and do not and should not be construed to create an expectation of result in any other case as all cases are dependent upon their own unique fact situation and applicable law.
- Named a "Massachusetts Super Lawyer," Super Lawyers (2004, 2006-2012)**
**Being named to the list or receiving the award is not intended and should not be viewed as comparative to other lawyers or to create an expectation about results that might be achieved in a future matter.
- Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association, Founder, Director and Past President
- American Bar Association, TIPS Section Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Loss Executives Association
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
William Erickson News
- January 2013
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P. Names William Erickson Chair of the Insurance Group
- Oct 2010
Attorneys Named as "Boston Super Lawyers 2010"
Partners in the firm's Boston office were named "Boston Super Lawyers 2010" by Super Lawyers Magazine.
- Nov 2009
Attorneys Named as "Boston Super Lawyers 2009"
Partners in the firm's Boston office were named "Boston Super Lawyers 2009" by Law & Politics.
- May 1, 2009
William Erickson of Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P. Appointed President of Newly Formed Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P. is pleased to announce that partner William N. Erickson has been appointed president of the new Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association (MReBA), which was recently established with more than 25 lawyers from seven law firms in Boston.
- Nov 2008
Attorneys Named as "Boston Super Lawyers 2008"
Partners in the firm's Boston office were named "Boston Super Lawyers 2008" by Law & Politics.
- Feb 28, 2008
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P. Announces Executive Board
The national law firm of Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P. has elected Martin R. Lueck as Chairman of the Executive Board and Steven A. Schumeister was re-elected as the firm's Managing Partner.
- Oct 2007
Attorneys Named as "Boston Super Lawyers 2007"
Partners in the firm's Boston office were named "Boston Super Lawyers 2007" by Law & Politics.
- Jan 20, 2007
Firm Defends Gulf Insurance in Policy Dispute With Hartford
The Superior Court, County of Norfolk, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, ruled in favor of Gulf Insurance Co.'s motion for summary judgment and declared that Gulf has no duty to share the costs of a personal injury claim resulting from a construction accident at Foxboro Stadium where the insured sought coverage only from Hartford Casualty Insurance Co.
- May 23, 2003
Y2K Remediation Efforts Excluded From Coverage General Telephone and Electronics Corp., now Verizon, recently lost its claim for a $381 million reimbursement for Y2K expenses when the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey granted a motion for summary judgment to the five insurance companies who had written policies for the telecommunication provider.
- Hurricane Irene Special Endorsement
DecPage; Vol. 2, Issue 3 (September 21, 2011)
- Travelers v. INA and The-Follow-The-Fortunes Doctrine
Law360, (August 10, 2010)
- Understanding Extra Expense
Tort and Insurance Practice Law Journal, American Bar Association (Fall 2009)
- Appraisal/Reference - Do's and Don'ts: Examination of MA Reference Procedure
ARS Restoration Specialists, Foxboro, Massachusetts (August 2, 2012)
- Global Program Claims Workshop
Loss Executives Association (LEA), Toronto, Canada (June 7-8, 2012)
- Interactive Workshop: Ways to protect attorney-client privilege while complying with the right of association and claims control clauses
Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association, Harvard Club, Boston, Massachusetts (October 6, 2011)
- Navigating Through the Ethical Thicket in Reinsurance Arbitrations: A Panel Discussion and Workshop
Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association, The Harvard Club, Boston, Massachusetts (September 23, 2010)
In-House Training for Insurance Adjusters, Chicago, Illinois (May 18-19, 2010)
- Understanding Extra Expense Insurance Coverage (Webinar)
West LegalEdcenter (March 30, 2010)
- Property Insurance Law Update
Loss Executives Association, Tampa, Florida (January 28, 2010)
- Emerging Insurance Risks; Arbitrating Reinsurance Disputes Under Massachusetts Law
Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association, Harvard Club, Boston, Massachusetts (October 1, 2009)
- Property Law Update
Property Loss Research Bureau (PLRB), Portland, Oregon (March 21-25, 2009)
- Trends in Property Insurance Law
Loss Executives Association (LEA), Tampa, Florida (February 5, 2009)
- Extra Expense University
Loss Executives Association (LEA), Tampa, Florida (February 4-6, 2009)
- Ethics and Large Loss Claims Adjusting
Loss Executives Association (LEA), Grand Hyatt, Tampa, Florida (January 23-25, 2008)
- Electronic Discovery and the New Federal Rules: You've Got Mail
Loss Executives Association (LEA), Lincolnshire Marriott Resort, Lincolnshire, Illinois (June 13-15, 2007)
- Business Interruption, Civil Authority and Contingent Business Interruption Claims
Loss Executives Association (LEA), Baltimore Marriott Waterfront, Baltimore, Maryland (June 15-17, 2005)
Contact Lawdragon about the information in this review.
EVALUATIONFill in the requested information below, then submit your evaluation to have your scores calculated as part of William N. Erickson Lawdragon ranking.
By submitting this form, you agree to Lawdragon's TERM OF USE.