Duncan C. McCurrach
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
125 Broad Street
New York, NY 10004
212-558-3588 (firm fax)
Duncan C. McCurrach
Duncan McCurrach joined Sullivan & Cromwell in 1984 and became a partner in 1992. In addition to general corporate work, his practice currently focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions and securities offerings. He spent eight years in Sullivan & Cromwell’s Australian offices and remains quite active in cross-border transactions.
In M&A, Mr. McCurrach has worked on a wide range of public and private acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and strategic alliances. Some of his recent clients and transactions include advising:
- LAN Airlines S.A. in its combination with TAM S.A.
- Cablevision in its acquisition of Bresnan Broadband Holdings
- Harris Corporation in its purchase of CapRock Communications
- Microsoft in its hostile bid for Yahoo!
- Dubai World in the sale of its U.S. port operations
- Ontario Teachers in its purchase of U.S. and Canadian ports from Orient Overseas (International) Limited
- Harris Corporation in the combination of its microwave division with Stratex Networks
- Archipelago in its merger with the New York Stock Exchange
- Intelsat in its sale to a consortium of private equity investors
- P&O Princess Cruises plc in its dual listed company (DLC) merger with Carnival Corporation
- AT&T in the sale of a directory business to RH Donnelley
- Goldman Sachs in its acquisition of Hull & Associates, its first major acquisition as a public company
His past M&A clients also include Microsoft, Deutsche Bank, UBS, Morgans Hotel Group, Exxon Mobil, Merrill Lynch, BHP-Billiton, Computer Associates, Medco, Cablevision, Clubcorp, Ziff-Davis, Avon, Solvay, Fletcher Challenge, Generali, Hoechst, BHP, Orica and BlueScope Steel.
In private equity, Mr. McCurrach advises private equity funds and other investment vehicles with respect to both fund matters and acquisitions. Past clients include Goldman Sachs’ real estate and other principal investment funds, Bill Gates' personal investment fund and charitable foundation, Altor Equity Partners, Compass Partners International, ValueVest High Concentration Fund, the Government of Ireland and members of the Pritzker family. He also advises corporate clients on private investments and related commercial transactions, including Microsoft, Cablevision, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, Key3Media and Clubcorp.
In the securities area, Mr. McCurrach has acted for both issuers and underwriters in domestic and international securities offerings. These include IPOs, tracking stocks, other registered equity and debt offerings, Rule 144A offerings and other private placements, structured financial products, demutualizations and government privatizations.
Rankings and Recognition
- Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition (2009)
- New York Super Lawyers – recognized as a top attorney in M&A (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
- Lawdragon 3000: Leading Lawyers in America (2009-2010)
- Lawdragon 500: Leading Lawyers in America (2007)
- Lawdragon 500: Leading Dealmakers in America – recognized as a top attorney in M&A (2007)
- Lawdragon 500: New Stars, New Worlds – recognized in Banking & Finance, Securities, M&A and Private Equity (2006)
See Library Tab for articles, publications and presentations by Duncan McCurrach
EDITORIAL REVIEWMcCurrach's been monumental for investors ranging from Ontario Teachers, DP World and Deutsche Bank in the port world to Goldman Sachs, Cablevision and Altor Equity Partners in strategic and private equity investments.
McCurrach navigated AT&T through selling a directory business to RH Donnelley, the Archipelago/NYSE merger and Goldman Sachs about buying Hull & Associates.
Dubai Ports World, Princess Cruises and Exxon all salute his M&A expertise.
Contact Lawdragon about the information in this review.
EVALUATIONFill in the requested information below, then submit your evaluation to have your scores calculated as part of Duncan C. McCurrach Lawdragon ranking.
By submitting this form, you agree to Lawdragon's TERM OF USE.