A partner in the Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization Department, Jake has broad experience advising a variety of clients in bankruptcy cases and corporate restructurings, including debtors, official and ad hoc creditor committees and distressed investment funds.
Jake's recent representations include:
- the ad hoc committee of certain first lien senior secured creditors of Texas Competitive Electric Holdings Company LLC in the company's chapter 11 case involving approximately $32 billion of secured and unsecured debt;
- the ad hoc committee of noteholders of Dynegy Holdings in connection with the company's bankruptcy cases and pre-arranged restructuring of $3.6 billion of unsecured claims;
- Centerbridge Partners, L.P. and Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. in connection with a term loan and stock purchase to recapitalize Billabong International Limited, a public corporation organized in Australia that specializes in the sale of apparel and accessories related to skateboarding and surfing;
- the senior secured lenders to Australian-based Nine Entertainment Group in the restructuring of more than AU$2 billion of debt by means of a scheme of arrangement under which the lenders became the principal equity holders of the reorganized company;
- AbitibiBowater (now known as Resolute Forest Products) in its complex cross-border cases in the U.S. and Canada involving the restructuring of more than $8 billion of prepetition indebtedness and raising $1.5 billion in exit financing;
- Citigroup as the secured creditor in the chapter 11 case of Howrey LLP, an AmLaw 100 law firm;
- the ad hoc committee of senior secured noteholders of Savient Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a specialty biopharmaceutical company, in the company's pre-arranged chapter 11 case; and
- Samsonite Corporation, manufacturer of luggage and travel bags, in its worldwide out-of-court restructuring. In connection with the representation, we also represented Samsonite Company Stores in its successful prepackaged chapter 11 case.
- J.D., Columbia Law School
James Kent Scholar, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania
magna cum laude
- Hon. Robert E. Gerber, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
See Library Tab for articles, publications and presentations by Jacob Adlerstein