A partner in the Real Estate Department, Peter Fisch regularly represents developers, entrepreneurial investors, institutional investors, lenders and other parties in all aspects of transactional real estate, including acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, conventional and securitized financings, workouts, sale-leasebacks, management contracts, leasing and investment funds, involving a balance of office, retail, hotel, multifamily and industrial properties and development rights and commercial condominium regimes.
Peter's recent experience in the acquisition, disposition and recapitalization of major real estate assets includes:
- Multiple sales, acquisitions and recapitalizations for SL Green Realty Corp., a publicly traded REIT, involving 3 Columbus Circle, 110 East 42nd Street, 485 Lexington Avenue, 292 Madison Avenue, 885 Third Avenue, 2 Herald Square and 521 Fifth Avenue with an aggregate value in excess of $1 billion.
- For Apollo Global Real Estate, in a joint venture with Chartres Lodging Group, the pending $274 million sale of the Novotel New York Times Square, located at 226 W. 52nd St. in the heart of Manhattan's theatre district, to Millennium & Copthorne Hotels, a publicly traded UK-based hotel operator.
- For The Lightstone Group and its publicly traded REIT affiliate, the sale of Dakota Square Mall, a regional mall in Minot, North Dakota, and the $2.3 billion sale of the 24-property Prime Retail outlet center portfolio to Simon Property Group.
- Acquisition of the Dream Downtown Hotel, and negotiation of a hotel operating agreement, on behalf of Sahara India Pariwar.
- Acquisitions of several New York City hotels for Gemini Real Estate Advisors valued in excess of $500 million, including the acquisition of land and development rights for development of the Jade Hotel in the Union Square area.
- Acquisition of mixed-use properties in the Meatpacking District and Chelsea on behalf of The Yucaipa Companies.
- Acquisition and recapitalization of the Savoy Hotel in Miami Beach for a prominent real estate investor.
- Sale of The Castle on Hudson, a historic hotel and event space in Westchester County, New York.
Peter also has extensive experience representing both operating and capital partners in complex joint ventures, including:
- Representation of The Lightstone Group and its affiliate Paragon Retail Partners in a $500 million joint venture with a NYSE-listed shopping center REIT to develop retail outlet centers in Texas and California and a pending joint venture to develop a retail outlet center in the Midwest.
- Representation of Rose Associates as the development partner in a joint venture to convert the landmarked former AIG headquarters at 70 Pine Street into a luxury rental building, a joint venture for the ground-up development of a 360-unit multifamily building on Livingston Street in downtown Brooklyn, and a pending joint venture transaction to develop an 80/20 multifamily building in Manhattan.
- For SL Green Realty Corp., a $500 million joint venture with The Moinian Group to recapitalize and reposition 3 Columbus Circle in New York, and joint ventures with Capelli Properties and Onyx Equities for investments in office properties in suburban New York.
- Representation of Apollo Global Real Estate in platform joint ventures to acquire office and mixed-use properties in the Southeastern United States and to acquire industrial properties nationwide.
- Joint ventures for Gemini Real Estate Advisors with partners including The City Investment Fund, The Carlyle Group, Related Companies and a New York based hedge fund to acquire several New York City hotels.
- For The Yucaipa Companies, a joint venture to acquire a mixed-use building in the Meatpacking District with the Cayre family.
Peter also focuses a significant portion of his practice on complex financings, debt acquisitions and restructurings and preferred equity transactions involving CMBS and portfolio lenders, including:
- Representation of Citigroup Global Realty in the global settlement of multiple litigations with The Pyramid Companies that resulted in the successful restructuring of over $500 million of mortgage and mezzanine debt secured by the Carousel Center mall and DestiNY USA expansion located in Syracuse, New York.
- Several acquisition financings and refinancings totaling well over $1 billion for SL Green Realty Corp. relating to 100 Park Avenue, 28 W. 44th Street, 3 Columbus Circle, 485 Lexington Avenue and 100 Church Street in New York City, Landmark Square in Stamford, Connecticut and the Meadows office complex in New Jersey, as well as the acquisition of six tranches of mezzanine debt secured by 280 Park Avenue in New York City.
- Origination of a resort land development loan, and a subsequent restructuring of the loan, for Capmark Finance secured by oceanfront property on the Big Island in Hawaii, as well as an $80 million preferred equity investment for a joint venture between Capmark and an opportunity fund secured by a 13-property multifamily portfolio in the mid-Atlantic.
- A New York based hedge fund in the origination and restructuring of a mortgage loan secured by a riverfront brownfield development site in Yonkers, New York and a subsequent deed in lieu of foreclosure in satisfaction of the loan.
- A joint venture of Allied Partners and the Cayre family to refinance the Prince Building at 568 Broadway in SoHo.
- Gemini Real Estate Advisors in multiple mortgage and mezzanine financings for its New York City franchised hotels, and in the acquisition of a pool of hotel mortgage loans and the sale of a senior participation interest therein.
In addition to the above referenced matters, Peter's other recent experience includes:
- Representation of Lincoln Center Theater in connection with its long-term lease for the Vivian Beaumont Theater and the Mitzi Newhouse Theater and administrative offices, and in connection with the development of the new Claire Tow Theater on the rooftop of its existing building on the Lincoln Center campus.
- Representation of Caesars Entertainment Corporation, the world's most diversified gaming company, in a joint venture with Rock Gaming to finance the construction of casino and related hotel and retail facilities in Cleveland and Cincinnati, Ohio, and in the restructuring its management arrangements and income interests in connection with a transfer in lieu of foreclosure by Westgate Resorts of the timeshare tower located near the Planet Hollywood Hotel and Casino.
- Several hotel management agreements for Starwood Hotels and Resorts (for W, Westin and St. Regis hotels) and Las Vegas Sands Corp. (for Four Seasons, Shangri-La, Starwood, Hilton, Fairmont and Intercontinental hotels in Macau) and Sahara India Pariwar (for the Dream Downtown Hotel).
- Numerous sale leaseback transactions for various clients involving industrial properties, headquarters campuses, and Checkers, Ryan's, Buffets, and Portillo's Hot Dogs restaurants and Chuck E. Cheese entertainment venues.
- Review of multiple real estate fund investments on behalf of The Rockefeller Foundation.
Peter's work has earned him recognition as a leading Real Estate lawyer by both The Legal 500 and Chambers USA. He is a frequent contributor of articles regarding new developments in real estate transactional law to prominent trade publications, including the Real Estate Finance Journal and the National Law Journal, and co-authors a regular column on transactional real estate law for the New York Law Journal.
He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Yale Law School Fund.
- J.D., Yale Law School, 1989
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1986
summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
See Library Tab for articles, publications and presentations by Peter Fisch
Jan 27, 2016 | News
Oak Hill to Acquire Imagine! Print Solutions
Jan 15, 2016 | News
PulteGroup Completes Acquisition of Homebuilding Assets From John Wieland Homes
Dec 23, 2015 | News
ProAmpac Completes Acquisition of Coating Excellence International
Dec 16, 2015 | News
General Atlantic Takes Minority Stake in Barteca
Dec 16, 2015 | News
PulteGroup to Acquire Homebuilding Assets From John Wieland Homes
Dec 11, 2015 | News
Crestview Partners to Take Significant Stake in WOW!
Nov 24, 2015 | News
Wellspring Acquires AdvoServ
Nov 10, 2015 | News
KPS Capital Partners to Sell Motor Coach Industries for $480 Million
Oct 27, 2015 | News
Ericsson Completes Acquisition of Envivio
Oct 21, 2015 | Publications
Transactional Real Estate: Acquisition Agreements
Sep 01, 2015 | Publications
Peter Fisch Quoted on Market Trends in U.S. Real Estate in Practical Law The Journal
Sep 10, 2015 | News
Ericsson to Acquire Envivio
Aug 26, 2015 | News
CI Capital Completes Sale of KIK Custom Products
Aug 19, 2015 | News
Wellspring Capital Forms Leading Flexible Packaging Company
Aug 03, 2015 | News
Wellspring Acquires Help At Home
Jul 24, 2015 | News
SL Green Announces Acquisition of Mixed-Use Properties in Lower Manhattan
Jul 16, 2015 | News
A&E Closes Dividend Recapitalization
Jul 21, 2015 | News
Orleans Homes Sells Three Divisions to Taylor Morrison
Jul 13, 2015 | News
General Atlantic Announces Investment in Aimbridge Hospitality
Jul 13, 2015 | Publications
Transactional Real Estate: The Role of Defeasance in Real Estate Finance
Jul 01, 2015 | News
General Atlantic to Acquire Majority Stake in EN Engineering
Jul 02, 2015 | News
Fiskars Completes Acquisition of WWRD
Jul 01, 2015 | News
Interactive Health to Be Acquired by Affiliate of FFL Capital Partners IV
Jun 30, 2015 | News
KIK Custom Products to be Acquired by Centerbridge Partners
Jun 19, 2015 | News
Rose Associates Commences 80/20 Development Project
Jun 04, 2015 | News
General Atlantic to Acquire Majority Stake in Too Faced Cosmetics
Jun 01, 2015 | News
Wendy’s Closes $2.275 Billion Whole Business Securitization
May 13, 2015 | Events
Peter Fisch Speaks About the Economics of Real Estate Joint Venture Agreements
May 11, 2015 | News
KPS Capital Partners to Sell WWRD to Fiskars Corporation
May 07, 2015 | News
A-T Solutions to be Acquired by PAE
Apr 28, 2015 | News
Melohn Properties Transaction Featured in Law360
Apr 08, 2015 | News
MedExpress to Be Acquired by Optum
Apr 13, 2015 | News
Melohn Acquires Leased Fee Interest in Lower Manhattan Office Tower
Mar 30, 2015 | News
Sky Acquires 60 Percent Stake in Jupiter Entertainment
Mar 31, 2015 | News
TowerBrook to Acquire J.Jill
Mar 02, 2015 | News
KPS Portfolio Company IES Acquires Kodiak
Feb 18, 2015 | Publications
Transactional Real Estate: Sale-Leaseback Transactions
Feb 04, 2015 | News
Guggenheim Securities Acts as Initial Purchaser in $2.6 Billion Dunkin’ Brands Securitization
Dec 04, 2014 | News
CareCore and MedSolutions Complete Merger
Nov 24, 2014 | News
Portillo's Hot Dogs Closes Sale-Leaseback
Nov 13, 2014 | News
Encana Acquires Athlon Energy for $7.1 Billion
Oct 15, 2014 | Publications
Transactional Real Estate: City Transfer Tax on Multiple Units
Oct 07, 2014 | News
Paul, Weiss Represents Guggenheim Securities in Whole-Business Securitization
Sep 29, 2014 | News
Encana to Acquire Athlon
Sep 17, 2014 | News
Oasis Beverages to Acquire Pabst Brewing Company
Sep 16, 2014 | News
Law360 Q&A With Peter Fisch
Aug 28, 2014 | News
Citibank to Sell Texas-Based Retail Banking Business
Aug 25, 2014 | News
PulteGroup Buys Real Estate Assets of Dominion Homes
Aug 19, 2014 | News
KPS to Sell Waupaca Foundry to Hitachi Metals for $1.3 Billion
Jun 30, 2014 | News
KPS Acquires Anchor Glass Container Corporation
May 27, 2014 | News
General Atlantic to Acquire and Merge Online Brokers
May 16, 2014 | Publications
Senior Housing Facility Management Agreements
May 06, 2014 | News
CI Capital Partners Completes Sale of American Residential Services to Charlesbank Capital Partners
Apr 22, 2014 | Publications
Reverse Triangular Mergers and Non-Assignment Clauses in Leases
Apr 14, 2014 | News
KPS to Acquire Anchor Glass Container Corporation
Mar 24, 2015
KPS Capital Wins Two Buyouts “Deal of the Year” Awards
Jun 07, 2013
Chambers USA 2013 Ranks Paul, Weiss Highly