Ryan van Steenis provides his clients with extensive litigation experience to resolve complex commercial litigation and business disputes efficiently and effectively. He has represented clients in insurance defense litigation and coverage matters, class action defense, and copyright infringement, trademark, social media, fraud, fiduciary duty, partnership dissolutions, landlord-tenant, contract, entertainment, and real estate disputes, frequently handling the case from its inception to its conclusion, including enforcement of judgment.
- Won a bench trial in United States District Court, Northern District of California on behalf of Unionamerica Insurance Company rescinding an insurance policy for the insureds’ material misrepresentation on its insurance application and defeated a cross-claim against Unionamerica Insurance Company for breach of contract, bad faith, and fiduciary duties.
- Won an appeal in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upholding District Court’s finding in Unionamerica Insurance Company’s favor.
- Represented a real estate developer against a national bank for breach of a commercial lease, successfully resolving the claims against the bank after a two week jury trial in California state court.
- Represented an insurance brokerage in a partnership dissolution matter involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Successfully represented a regional bank in judicial foreclosure proceedings against borrowers who fraudulently induced a loan, including the appointment of a judicial receiver.
- Researched, drafted, argued, and won a judgment on the pleadings filed in California against a real estate broker for breach of contract and fiduciary duties.
- Defended a California insurance company against a class action lawsuit for purported violations of the California Insurance Code, winning partial summary judgment motion to defeat class certification.
- Represented a jewelry designer in a copyright infringement case against an international diamond company, successfully reaching a satisfactory settlement.
- Represented social media and digital agency companies in numerous contract disputes against former customers.
- Represented a music management company against its clients for breach of music producer contracts.
OTHER ATTORNEY EXPERIENCE
- Selman Breitman, Los Angeles (2008-2010)
- Huron Law Group, Los Angeles (2010-2014)
MEMBERSHIPS AND COMMUNITY
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Pink Door Non-Profit
- Member, Board of Directors, Unlikely Heroes
Southern California Rising Star (Southern California Super Lawyers, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- Washington University School of Law,
- Associate Editor, Washington University Journal of Law and Policy, 2006-2007
- University of California, Los Angeles,
B.A., cum laude, 2003
- College Honors, College of Arts and Sciences
- California, 2007
- Texas, 2013
- All California State Courts
- All Texas State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
See Library Tab for articles, publications and presentations by Ryan van Steenis