New York, November 12, 2013 – Sullivan & Cromwell LLP announced today that nine lawyers have been elected partners of the Firm, effective January 1, 2014.
“These nine individuals have dedicated themselves to partnering with clients to reach solutions to today’s most complex business issues,” said Joseph C. Shenker, Chairman of Sullivan & Cromwell. “They have significant experience in a mix of industries and geographic areas, and we are proud to welcome them to our partnership.”
The new partners are:
· Werner F. Ahlers (General Practice): Mr. Ahlers has experience across a wide range of corporate and finance transactions, including cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, project and asset-backed financings and securities offerings. In addition to extensive work on project development and finance transactions, he has an active M&A and joint venture practice with an emphasis on natural resources, infrastructure and financial services sectors. Mr. Ahlers is a graduate of Yale Law School (J.D., 2005) and Harvard University (B.A., 1999). He is a native speaker of Spanish and is proficient in Portuguese.
· Justin J. DeCamp (Litigation): Mr. DeCamp’s practice focuses on the representation of financial institutions in securities litigation and government investigations. He has represented clients in a broad range of litigation in federal and state courts and in regulatory investigations in the United States and abroad arising out of the financial crisis and relating to complex structured financial products. He also has represented clients in contractual and merger disputes, commercial and securities arbitrations, and matters involving investment company, antitrust and corporate succession issues. Mr. DeCamp is a graduate of Hofstra University School of Law (J.D., 2005) and Fordham University (B.A., 1997).
· Christopher J. Dunne (Litigation): Mr. Dunne represents leading global companies and financial institutions in complex securities and commercial litigation, regulatory enforcement matters and corporate internal investigations. He has participated in numerous litigations and investigations arising out of the recent financial crisis, and has represented corporate and individual clients before the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the U.S. Senate and many state attorneys general. Mr. Dunne clerked for the Honorable William C. Conner of the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (2006-2007) and the Honorable Flemming L. Norcott, Jr., of the Supreme Court of Connecticut (2005-2006). Mr. Dunne is a graduate of Quinnipiac University School of Law (J.D., 2005) and Trinity College (B.S., 2002).
· Jared M. Fishman (General Practice): Mr. Fishman’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, securities offerings and similar transactions involving financial institutions. He also advises clients on a variety of regulatory, strategic, corporate governance and general corporate matters. Mr. Fishman represents both U.S. and non-U.S. public and private financial institutions, including banks and bank holding companies, insurance companies and broker-dealers, as well as private equity funds and mutual funds. Mr. Fishman is a graduate of New York University School of Law (J.D., 2005) and the University of Michigan (B.B.A., 2001).
· Michael H. Torkin (General Practice): Mr. Torkin concentrates in Bankruptcy & Restructuring matters. He has played a leading role in numerous complex cross-border corporate and financial restructurings both in- and out-of-court and has extensive experience advising boards of directors of distressed companies. Mr. Torkin also advises private equity and hedge fund clients in connection with distressed M&A, opportunistic investments and loan-to-own strategies. Mr. Torkin is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School (J.D., 1997) and the University of Western Ontario (B.A., 1993).
· Benjamin R. Walker (Litigation): Mr. Walker’s practice focuses on securities and antitrust class actions, shareholder derivative actions, contract disputes and other complex commercial litigation. He also represents corporate and individual clients in regulatory matters, including investigations by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the U.S. Department of Justice and other federal and state agencies. Mr. Walker is a graduate of the University of Kansas School of Law (J.D., 2005) and the University of Kansas (B.A., 2002).
· Alexander J. Willscher (Litigation): Mr. Willscher’s practice focuses on securities class actions and complex commercial litigation, white-collar criminal defense, regulatory enforcement proceedings and internal investigations. He has represented companies and individuals under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, the U.S. Treasury, and state and local prosecutors’ offices. From 2004 to 2010, Mr. Willscher served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York. He clerked for the Honorable Anthony M. Kennedy on the U.S. Supreme Court (2001-2002) and the Honorable J. Harvie Wilkinson III on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (2000-2001). He is a graduate of the University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 2000) and Dartmouth College (B.A., 1996).
· Laura Kabler Oswell (Litigation): Ms. Oswell represents companies and individuals in a wide variety of matters, including transaction-related, securities class, derivative, commercial, contract, antitrust and employment disputes. She also represents companies and individuals in matters before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the U.S. Department of Justice. Ms. Oswell is a graduate of Stanford Law School (J.D., 2005) and the University of Southern California (B.S., 1999).
· Christopher M. Viapiano (Litigation): Mr. Viapiano represents U.S. and non-U.S. companies and financial institutions in complex antitrust, commodities, securities and shareholder derivative litigation, criminal and regulatory enforcement matters and corporate internal investigations. He has represented clients under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and state attorneys general. Mr. Viapiano clerked for the Honorable Donald F. Parsons, Jr. of the Delaware Court of Chancery (2005-2006). He is a graduate of Stanford Law School (J.D., 2005) and Hamilton College (B.A., 2002).
About Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP is a global law firm that advises on major domestic and cross-border M&A, finance and corporate transactions, significant litigation and corporate investigations, and complex regulatory, tax and estate planning matters. The Firm’s hallmarks are the highest quality independent advice and intense dedication to solving client problems. Founded in 1879, Sullivan & Cromwell LLP has approximately 800 lawyers on four continents, with four offices in the United States, including its headquarters in New York, three offices each in Europe and Asia, and two in Australia.