By Lawdragon News | November 16, 2015 | Press Releases
New York, November 16, 2015—Sullivan & Cromwell LLP announced today that six lawyers have been elected partners of the Firm, effective January 1, 2016.
“We are proud to welcome to our partnership six individuals who have demonstrated their commitment to helping clients find solutions to their most complex business problems,” said Joseph C. Shenker, Chairman of Sullivan & Cromwell. “The broad experience of these talented lawyers will strengthen our practice and complement our diverse client base.”
The new partners are:
· Ari B. Blaut (General Practice): Mr. Blaut maintains a broad corporate practice with a focus on leveraged finance and acquisition finance transactions involving syndicated institutional loans and asset-based loans and issuances of secured and unsecured high-yield debt securities (SEC-registered and Rule 144A). He works on both the bank and high-yield bond sides of financing transactions. Mr. Blaut also regularly acts in direct lending and distressed lending transactions. He is a graduate of George Washington University Law School (J.D., 2007) and Washington University in St. Louis (B.A., 2004).
· Heather L. Coleman (General Practice): Ms. Coleman’s practice focuses on a variety of executive compensation, corporate governance and securities matters. She has broad experience advising public and private companies and individual senior executives on compensation and benefits matters in a range of corporate transactions and in a regular advisory role. She also frequently counsels clients on ongoing public company matters, including their Securities Exchange Act of 1934 reports and corporate governance and disclosure compliance, and is active in the Firm’s restructuring practice. Ms. Coleman clerked for the Honorable Michael A. Chagares of the U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit (2007-2008). She is a graduate of Yale Law School (J.D., 2007) and Washington and Lee University (B.A., 2004).
· Scott B. Crofton (General Practice): Mr. Crofton’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions. He has experience in all aspects of advising boards of directors, special committees and management of public and private companies in a wide variety of domestic and international strategic transactions. He is also involved in counseling clients on corporate governance matters, stockholder activist situations and unsolicited takeover proposals. Mr. Crofton is a member of the New York City Bar Association Committee on Mergers, Acquisitions and Corporate Control Contests. He is a graduate of Columbia Law School (J.D., 2006) and the University of Richmond (B.A., 2002).
· Joseph A. Hearn (General Practice): Mr. Hearn advises a wide range of financial institutions on a variety of transactional, regulatory and compensation-related matters. He regularly advises hedge funds, family offices and other alternative investment managers—both established firms and start-ups—on investments and on questions of structure, governance, senior-level hires and transitions, and relations with stakeholders. He has also represented many of the largest commercial banks, investment banks, finance companies, insurers and industry groups in a number of matters. Mr. Hearn is a graduate of Yale Law School (J.D., 2006) and Harvard College (A.B., 2003).
· Kathleen S. McArthur (Litigation): Ms. McArthur’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, regulatory enforcement proceedings and internal investigations. She has represented companies in connection with a variety of inquiries by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as in securities class actions, shareholder derivative litigation and other commercial disputes. She is a graduate of Harvard Law School (J.D., 2007) and the University of Texas (B.B.A., 2002). She is a native speaker of Spanish and also is fluent in Portuguese.
· Matthew J. Porpora (Litigation): Mr. Porpora represents leading global companies and financial institutions in securities, antitrust, banking, commodities and other complex commercial litigation, as well as in regulatory and criminal investigations. He has represented financial institutions and corporations in class actions across the country and in investigations by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the U.S. Department of Justice and other federal and state agencies, as well as in regulatory enforcement proceedings involving allegations of money laundering and Office of Foreign Assets Control sanctions violations. Mr. Porpora clerked for the Honorable Nina Gershon of the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York (2006-2008). He is a graduate of Brooklyn Law School (J.D., 2005) and the University of Texas (B.S., 2000).
About Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP is a global law firm that advises on major domestic and cross-border M&A; finance and corporate transactions; significant litigation and corporate investigations; and complex regulatory, tax and estate planning matters. The Firm’s hallmarks are the highest-quality independent advice and intense dedication to solving client problems. Founded in 1879, Sullivan & Cromwell LLP has approximately 800 lawyers on four continents, with four offices in the United States, including its headquarters in New York, three offices each in Europe and Asia, and two in Australia.