COSTA MESA, CALIF. (Oct. 8, 2014) – Smiley Wang-Ekvall, LLP (Smiley Wang-Ekvall) is a newly launched law firm specializing in insolvency, real estate transactions and business litigation. Attorneys Evan D. Smiley, Lei Lei Wang Ekvall, Kyra E. Andrassy, Kraig C. Kilger, Robert S. Marticello, Autumn D. Spaeth and Philip E. Strok have joined together as partners of the new firm. Smiley Wang-Ekvall's practice is dedicated to representing debtors, creditors, creditors’ committees, equity committees, trustees, asset purchasers, professionals and other parties successfully navigate bankruptcy-related matters and litigation. With the ability to fully service clients on issues inter-related between bankruptcy, real estate transactions and business litigation, firm partners have created an agile, forward-thinking firm that will operate in a team-oriented environment with a laser focus on achieving value-added best results for clients.
“Smiley Wang-Ekvall represents the convergence of more than 20 years of top-notch experience with a highly-energized and knowledgeable team seeking to apply innovative strategies to reach the ideal outcome for our clients,” said Smiley. “Our ability to be strategic and creative while we hone in on resolving the obstacles and issues encountered by our clients sets us apart from other traditional law firms.”
The newly launched firm boasts a highly-knowledgeable, skilled and resolute team of partners. In addition to holding strong records of success– both in and out of the courtroom, each attorney hasserved as former federal judicial clerks and/or achieved notable distinctions and honors during their career.
“Our all-star team of talented attorneys are well-equipped to guide clients through the challenges that come with insolvency, real estate transactions and other bankruptcy-related legal matters by working in collaboration with them and discerning the best course of action to reach a resolution efficiently and effectively,” said Wang Ekvall. “By joining our extensive experience with our passion for the law, we will be able to provide a new level of focused service, skill and accessibility.”
Smiley Wang-Ekvall partners include:
· Evan D. Smiley, an accomplished litigator, author, speaker and bankruptcy specialist, has more than 20 years of experience in bankruptcy law. He was named as a Super Lawyer by Thompson Reuters for 10 consecutive years, representing the top five percent of practicing attorneys in Southern California. A strong leader and community advocate, Smiley is a fellow of the Orange County Bar Foundation and currently serves on the Alumni Board of Directors for Pacific McGeorge School of Law. Smiley is AV-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating for ethical standards and legal ability. He is also named as one of the Best Lawyers in America for Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights in the 2010-2015 editions of The Best Lawyers in America list appearing in U.S. News & World Reports. Most recently, Smiley was named to OC Metro magazine’s 2014 Top Bankruptcy Attorneys List.
· Lei Lei Wang Ekvall is a leader in the Southern California legal community having served several terms on the board of directors for Orange County Bar Association, including as president in 2010. She is also a past president of the Orange County Bankruptcy Forum and the Orange County Asian American Bar Association. Wang Ekvall has earned an AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell, plus the highest possible 10.0 rating from Avvo, and was most recently named as one of the 2014 Top Bankruptcy Attorneys by OC Metro magazine and a 2014 Super Lawyers’ Top Women in Bankruptcy list. She is frequently invited to speak on various topics related to bankruptcy law and she and Smiley co-authored the book, “Bankruptcy for Business; The Benefits, Pitfalls and Alternatives.”
· Kyra E. Andrassy received her Juris Doctorate from Loyola Law School where she served as an editor of the Loyola Law Review. She held the distinction of being the only attorney to sit on the Committee to Revise the Local Bankruptcy Rules of the U.S. District Court, Central District of California in 2011 and has been recognized as a Southern California Rising Star six times by Thompson Reuters. Andrassy was also named a Super Lawyer by Thompson Reuters in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Most recently, she was also selected to be a part of OC Metro magazine’s 2014 Top Bankruptcy Attorneys List.
· Kraig C. Kilger brings extensive experience in real estate and business transaction matters as well as an impressive tenure in business law. Kilger graduated with honors from University of California, Davis where he was nominated to the Order of the Coif, won the American Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Law and the Roger J. Traynor California Moot Court Competition.
· Robert S. Marticello, a past president of the Orange County Bankruptcy Forum and current treasurer of the California Bankruptcy Forum, focuses on bankruptcy, workouts and insolvency matters. Marticello is rated as a Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star by Thompson Reuters and holds magna cum laude honors from California Western School of Law.
· Autumn D. Spaeth, a noted litigator, author and speaker, concentrates her practice on business and insolvency related litigation. She served as the co-chair of the Central District of California Lawyer Representatives to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference and chair of the Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section and the Legislative Resolutions Committee of the Orange County Bar Association. Spaeth was recognized six times as a Southern California Rising Star by Thompson Reuters and a Super Lawyer for three years. Most recently, she was named to the 2014 Top Bankruptcy Attorneys list by O.C. Metro magazine.
· Philip E. Strok has received much acclaim and recognition for his accomplishments as a bankruptcy attorney including being named as one of the Best Lawyers in America for Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights in the 2010-2014 editions of The Best Lawyers in America list appearing in U.S. News & World Reports. Strok is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and a member and past president of the Orange County Bankruptcy Forum. A magna cum laude graduate of Southwestern University Law School, Strok served as editor of the Southwestern University Law Review.
The firm is headquartered in Costa Mesa and has an office in Los Angeles to better serve clients around Southern California. For more information about Smiley Wang-Ekvall, visit http://swelawfirm.com/.
ABOUT SMILEY WANG-EKVALL, LLP
Smiley Wang-Ekvall, LLP is a premiere insolvency, real estate and business litigation firm dedicated to representing debtors, creditors, creditors’ committees, equity committees, trustees, asset purchasers, professionals and other parties successfully navigate bankruptcy-related matters. Boasting a team of highly-experienced transactional law litigators and mediators, Smiley Wang-Ekvall is committed to understanding client needs and combining critical thinking with innovative advocacy tactics to achieve the best possible results. As a specialized boutique firm with seven partners, Smiley Wang-Ekvall values diplomacy and collaboration among its team, clientele and industry peers. Headquartered in Costa Mesa and with an office in Los Angeles, Smiley Wang-Ekvall serves clients locally, regionally and nationwide. For more information, visit http://swelawfirm.com/.