The head of the China Practice Group and the Asia Communications and Technology Practice Group, Jeanette K. Chan is a partner in the Corporate Department and splits her time between the firm’s offices in Hong Kong and Beijing.
Jeanette's practice focuses on foreign direct investments into the PRC, with an emphasis on joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions and private equity investments. She has also been an active participant in the Chinese telecommunications, IT and media markets since 1994, when they first opened to foreign companies. The other industries Jeanette has been involved in include insurance, banking, chemicals, pharmaceuticals and health care.
- Ageas Insurance International N.V. in the HK$10,688 million (Eur 1,230 million) sale of its Hong Kong insurance subsidiary to JD.Capital, a China-based asset manager.
- Tencent, a leading provider of diversified technology internet services in China, in a US$1.55 billion joint investment with JD.com, a China-based online shopping services company, in Bitauto Holdings Limited, a China-based Internet content and marketing provider for the automotive industry.
- DreamWorks Animation on its ground-breaking joint venture with various Chinese partners to establish the leading China-focused family entertainment company in the PRC - Oriental DreamWorks.
- Shanghai Shendi Group Co., a new PRC state-owned enterprise, in its joint venture withThe Walt Disney Co. to build its first mainland China theme park in Shanghai. The Shanghai Disney theme park will be the first world-class and Disney branded resort encompassing Chinese and Shanghai characteristics in China. The joint venture, ten years in the making, was an extremely complicated transaction and is said to be worth in excess of US$3.5 billion.
- on the largest ever private financing for a private sector Chinese company, and the largest non-LBO private financing for a technology company globally in Alibaba's US$1.6 billion buyback of Yahoo!, representing Silver Lake and Temasek Holdings.
- The Astro Group in its merger of Celestial Television and Tiger Gate Entertainment, creating a new media company, Celestial Tiger Entertainment Limited.
- The Carlyle Group on its controlling stake in China's Mandarin Hotel Holdings Ltd.
- Asia Satellite Telecommunications Company Limited in its disposition of its entire interest in SpeedCast Holdings Limited, the Hong Kong-based network and satellite communications service provider, to SpeedCast Acquisitions Limited.
- Motorola on the sale of its networks business to Nokia Siemens Networks in Hong Kong and China.
Jeanette spent several years with Paul, Weiss in Hong Kong, New York, Beijing and Shanghai prior to relocating to Hong Kong in 1992. She also spent almost two years based in Hong Kong as the Senior International Legal Advisor of Cable & Wireless, plc for the Asia Pacific region, assisting with their operations and business development teams in the region.
Jeanette is frequently recognized as one of the world's leading PRC law practitioners, particularly in the communications, media and technology industries, by various publications, including:
- "Leading Lawyer" in Hong Kong for private equity by IFLR1000 (2016)
- "Leading Individual" for TMT in Hong Kong and private equity/venture capital (foreign firm) in China by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2016)
- "Best in M&A and Private Equity" at the Euromoney Legal Media Group Asia Women in Business Law Awards (2015)
- "Dealmaker of the Year" at the Asian Legal Business Hong Kong Law Awards (2015)
- "Band 1" Leading Individual for private equity/buyouts & venture capital investment (international firm) and TMT (international firm) in China by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2015)
- Leading Lawyer for Mergers & Acquisitions and Telecoms & Media in Hong Kong by Who's Who Legal (2015)
- Asian Legal Business's Client Choice Hot 75 - one of the top 75 practitioners in Asia (2013)
- Leading Female Lawyer for TMT at the Euromoney Legal Media Group's Asia Women in Business Law Awards (2013)
Jeanette is a member of the New York Bar. She is also admitted to practice law in Canada and Hong Kong and is a non-practicing solicitor of England and Wales. Jeanette is a foreign legal consultant of the All China Lawyer's Association.
- LL.M., Harvard Law School, 1986
- LL.B., University of British Columbia Faculty of Law, 1983
- B.A., University of Toronto, 1980
- New York
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales (non-practising)
See Library Tab for articles, publications and presentations by Jeanette Chan
Dec 17, 2015 | News
Microsoft to Form Joint Venture With China Electronic Technology Corporation
Dec 15, 2015 | News
Bona Film Announces Going Private Agreement
Oct 28, 2015 | News
Apollo Affiliated Funds Acquire OM Group
Oct 29, 2015 | Events
Paul, Weiss Sponsors The Women’s Foundation Annual Gala Dinner in Hong Kong
Sep 30, 2015 | Publications
Jeanette Chan Authors Article on China’s Draft Cybersecurity Law for Hong Kong Lawyer
Sep 18, 2015 | Events
Paul, Weiss Sponsors 30% Club Boardroom Lunch for Aspiring Women Directors in Hong Kong
Aug 30, 2015 | News
Ageas Agrees to Sell Hong Kong Life Insurance Business to JD Capital
Sep 01, 2015 | Events
Jeanette Chan and Jack Lange to Participate in IBA M&A Conference
Aug 04, 2015 | News
Tencent Offers to Acquire eLong
Apr 15, 2015 | News
WME IMG to Acquire Professional Bull Riders Inc.
Mar 25, 2015 | Events
Jeanette Chan to Moderate a Panel at IFLR's Asia Women in Business Law Forum
Mar 05, 2015 | Events
Paul, Weiss Supports International Women’s Day in Hong Kong
Jan 22, 2015 | Publications
China’s Draft Foreign Investment Law to Revolutionize Foreign Investment Regime in China
Oct 23, 2014 | News
Shaw Kwei Makes Significant Investments in the Manufacturing and Logistics Sectors
Sep 18, 2014 | News
Spectrum Brands Agrees to Acquire Tell Manufacturing
Aug 15, 2014 | News
Nielsen & Bainbridge Acquires The Home Décor Companies
May 06, 2014 | News
William Morris Endeavor Closes Acquisition of IMG
May 08, 2014 | Events
Panel: "Innovate or Die" - Driving the Growth Agenda in Asia
Apr 09, 2014 | News
Paul, Weiss Advises IMAX in Sale to Strategic Investors
Mar 03, 2014 | News
Hony Capital Completes Equity Investment in STX Filmworks
Nov 11, 2015
Jeanette Chan Recognized as “Best in M&A and Private Equity” at Asia Women in Business Law Awards
Sep 28, 2015
Jeanette Chan and Hong Kong and Tokyo Offices Shortlisted for Asia Women in Business Awards
Sep 11, 2015
Jeanette Chan Wins Dealmaker of the Year at ALB Hong Kong Law Awards
Aug 18, 2015
Paul, Weiss Shortlisted for Three ALB Hong Kong Law Awards
Sep 30, 2014
Jeanette Chan Shortlisted for Asia Women in Business Awards, as Well as Hong Kong and Tokyo Offices
Nov 20, 2013
Jeanette Chan Named Leading
TMT Female Lawyer by IFLR
Oct 06, 2013
Asian Legal Business Names Paul, Weiss Transaction "Equity Market Deal of the Year" and "M&A Deal of the Year"
Jul 24, 2013
AmLaw Recognizes Paul, Weiss for
“Global M&A Deal of the Year: Canada”